- YouTube (18 May 2010) - [EXCLUSIVE VANDALIZED] SMRT C151 047-048 Graffiti Drawing - Departing Kembangan (Westbound)
- AsiaOne New (04 Jun 2010) - Graffiti Vandal Breaches Security At MRT Depot
- The Temasek Review (04 Jun 2010) - Swiss FT Arrested For Spraying Graffiti On MRT Train
There has been quite a stir back home where a Swiss guy broke into a MRT train depot and sprayed graffiti onto one of the trains.
That presented the chance for the increasing xenophobic locals to jump in and make a meal out of it. As usual, they took the opportunity to question the gahmen's wisdom, or the alleged lack of, for such loose immigration policies.
To me, all these jibber jabber are just white background static noises. Noises for the sake of making them. However, there is this one comment that caught my eye, although I am unable to verify if the incident (see above kwout) actually took place.
Assuming that it did happen, I have these to say:
- Sure you can laugh at us all you want about our anal uptight-ness. You can laugh about it only BECAUSE it didn't happen to you. Let's see you laugh about it when your swanky BMW gets a graffiti face lift.
Do you know why we are so tickled by the classic slip-on-banana-peel gag? Why the harder the fall, the funnier it is? Coz if you are watching it, it isn't happening to you. That's why it's funny. Comedy 101.
- Some may say that the Swiss chap did a fantastic job and that the graffiti looked fabulous. Yes, let's open the floodgates on this and abolish the vandalism restriction. Let's go for a free-for-all and you are going to find every Tom, Dick, Harry artist wannabe trying their hand. With limited number of trains, painting real estate will be limited as well and before you know it, you are going to have graffiti all over the fucking train.
Sure it looks nice right now. How about fast-forwarding by a couple of year under the exposure of the elements and then the graffiti will look like these:
Then what? Taxpayers' money to clean up the mess left behind by the so-called artists?
- So I say, we haul this fella up to the courts and charge him. Michael Fay's punishment, back in 1994, was meant to be a deterrent sentence but obviously the message didn't quite go through to these folks.
In view of the fact that this is public property and vandalism on a significantly bigger scale, I say, the punishment meted out should in proportion to that of Michael Fay's. Then we up the dosage to set a new bar for the deterrent, which the former obviously didn't work.
And yes. Also issue a Corrective Word Order for him to clean up the train.......
....with a toothbrush. His own.
Image Credits: http://www.streetsblog.org; http://images.nycsubway.org; http://upload.wikimedia.org
1. TehC left...
Saturday, 5 June 2010 1:03 pm*cough cough* I do think SMRT should award that vandal with 1% stock option. otherwise, they will never know that their so-call security is not working lor.
2. JayWalk left...
Saturday, 5 June 2010 1:44 pm ::TehC: In general, everybody in Singapore is just too complacent. Perhaps we need to revisit the Total Defense campaign back in the 80s.
3. sunshin3 left...
Tuesday, 8 June 2010 10:31 ami like your approach. hahaa
4. JayWalk left...
Friday, 11 June 2010 9:29 am ::sunshin3: Thank you..... thank you very much.
5. pmg left...
Tuesday, 29 June 2010 8:47 am :: http://modernburrow.lah.ccHe Swiss mah. He doesn't know that an American got rotan. Anyway... He was arrested in Switzerland for graffiti many years ago also.
6. JayWalk left...
Tuesday, 29 June 2010 9:31 am ::pmg: Without the rotan, the misdemeanour record is more of a badge of honour than just a criminal record. I am glad he will finally learn what's coming to him.
Post a Comment