It all started when a certain microphone was plugged in wrongly, resulting in the speaker (worth SGD 550,000 per year) being replaced.
So here we are. A by-election for the Punggol East SMC.
I have been following the headlines in recent weeks and sad to say, most are head-shaking worthy, where you wonder what the hell these guys were thinking. I fear for the constituents of Punggol East SMC as they are at risk of voting in an idiot.
- ChannelNewsAsia (12 Jan 2013) - PAP's Dr Koh Says Will Serve Punggol East Regardless Of Election Outcome
I'd give him credit for fast tracking the Rivervale Plazsa project as a carrot ahead of the election but to make such a statement is plain foolish.
If I were a voter, I'd be sure to vote for the best opposition candidate. That way, I get NOT ONE, BUT TWO! candidates working for my constituency. Dr Koh say "regardless" one right?
I find it laughable that SDP were to make such a insolent announcement as if they were the better party amongst the opposition. Let's look at the numbers. WP 6, SDP 0. Heck, they are not even second. Mrs Chiam's seat as an NCMP means even the SPP fared better.
So SDP to stand as candidate and should the candidate wins, he/she gets a seat in parliament while soooo generously giving the task of running the Town Council to WP.
Oh the nerve!
There was a later turnaround saying that it was misinterpreted as Dr Chee meant to say that SDP to stand for election then WP to run Town Council OR vice-versa. I think Dr Chee drink too much Glucolin again.
Here's the thing. If you KNEW WP would rebuff the plan, why even initiate it in the first place? Dumbass.
On a separte note, I disagree with Tan Kin Lian view on WP's refusal to talk to SDP as petty. I view it as NOT WASTING TIME.
Bertha did a spoof reply to SDP on behalf of Low Thia Kiang. Very well written as I laughed to the very last letter. KUDOS!
Update: SDP has decided to withdraw from the electoral race. OK. Good. 1 idiot down, two to go.
With only 4.45%, Desmond Lim lost his deposit in the last election. He was lucky that his result didn't affect the outcome of the poll. WP's Lee Li Lian's 41.01%, even with Desmond Lim's 4.45% (total 45.46%) still can't beat's Palmer's 54.54%. Had Desmond Lim garnered 9%, he would have been labeled Sabo King Of The Year.
So anyway, coming back, it looks like Desmond Lim has another SGD 14,500 to throw away. I really don't know what this guy is thinking. Even if he triples his votes this time round, it still won't win him the election. So why bother?
I am starting to suspect Desmond Lim being an undercover saboteur planted by the PAP. 无间道 siah!
For someone who has been working the West Coast constituency (South-West, if I may add), Kenneth Jeyaratnam suddenly shows up in the North-East wanting to win the election. Seriously??
Between the two Jeyaratnams, I admired the late Joshua Benjamin. A true fighter who earned his creds from the the ground up. Kenneth should do the same and not, according to some folks on the internet, ride on the coat tails of his late father.
I find it distasteful that he said that the WP candidate has been missing in action since GE 2011. Not that I am a supporter of WP, but I feel that it is not his place to judge since he himself didn't exist in Punggol East until what? Last week?
In any case, this is another sucker destined to lose his SGD 14,500 deposit.
To wind up this entry, here's the recap. We have a PAP candidate, a WP candidate and two sabo kings (independents excluded). Looks like PAP will retain this seat at the end of the day.
Image Credit: http://www.straitstimes.com/